I strongly encourage everyone to watch this PBS special, to get a feel for what happened and what is going on now. (Please see link below) This is what we saw, some of what we experienced.
Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Frontline Video on Haiti
Wow. Wow is all I can say after watching the PBS special on Haiti tonight. So many memories, scenes of places we actually were, and even a brief scene of our plane at the airport in PAP! Not to say that was actually us, but it's a small airline, and the airline that GLA used for most of its transporting back and forth. Likely, someone we know was on that plane. The scenes of the rubble brought it all back - almost like we were there. The stories were familiar. The people every bit as dear to us as when we were there. But the strongest emotional reaction was not one I expected. Somewhere near the middle of the broadcast was some footage of the earthquake, complete with that low-pitched rumble that accompanied the earthquakes and strong aftershocks. The sound literally raised the hairs on the back of my neck, and reawakened any shred of fear I might have felt in those moments. It's amazing how a certain smell, taste or sound can take you back faster than any memory, and that sound did it for me. It's a creepy sound, made worse by actual experience, striking a chord of emotion deep within that I didn't even know was there. A feeling I didn't realize I knew until I felt it again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi Garner and Michelle. We saw the program FRONTLINE on PBS too. Also on Tuesday evening March 30 & Wednesday evening March 31 CBC NEWS - THE NATIONAL had several very interesting segments throughout the news cast on Haiti that were huge eye openers on the history and the quake and relief efforts so far. If you missed it you can probably see them online. Love you lots ...Dad H
Our God is an awesome God!
Post a Comment