Yesterday, we left Karanda at 3pm. We went with six of us in a five-seater truck- you know, Zimbabwe sytle. So I, Garner, offered to ride in the back, under the canopy, with all the luggage. The biggest problem was the one oxygen tank . It was two inches longer than the short bed of the truck, so we propped it up against a ledge on the front of the canopy, then secured it to ensure it didn't become a surface-to-air missile when Kiersten hit the brakes!
We headed out, and it didn't take very long before I realized that we were on a very different route. It's a strange feeling, sitting in the back of a truck, facing backwards, peering out of dirty canopy windows, watching the world in reverse, but it was fun. The road, however, was horrible. No, maybe ghastly is a better word...but there were far less trees, and the road often was on a bit of a ridge, so the view was usually spectacular. I was still greatful for the opportunity to see some more country, even though I had no clue when we'd be pounding through potholes or washouts, or over large rocks, or braking suddenly to slow down. I did okay though, I didn't knock my head too many times.
We drove a route that I think not to many motorized vehicles take... about ninety-nine percent of the people that we passed would all turn around to watch the truck go by... then they would see this white dude in the back, and wave enthusiastically. Kids especially, would wave until you couldn't see them anymore. Shona, for the most part, really are an incredible friendly culture. So I'd wave back,sometimes non-stop, if there were lots of people, but the problem was that I really needed to be bracing myself firmly sometimes, only I didn't know when that was, so I provided much laughter for the Shona kids, as they turned around to see the truck drive by, with a white guy in the back that looked like he was riding a rodeo bull.... much fun was had by all.
We passed countless villages and mushas, and about a half dozen schools. Fun thing... ALL the kids were under a large tree instead of in class. Maybe it was cooler in the shade? But how do you teach 50-75 kids all under one tree?
We passed rock quarries, gold mines, it was all very fun. Then we arrived on the pavement. Aaaah. The relative quiet. The noisy queaking of the canopy was gone. We blistered down the narrow highway at 120km/h, and it's a wierd feeling when looking out the back, we fly past children playing on the side of the road. Whoa! We just missed that kid! Whoa! We just missed that cow! TIA!
It was definately cooler as we travelled on. By Bindura, we entered a new weather pattern, and I watched the thunder-heads building. Here there were citrus orchards, and banana groves for miles! There was no drought here. Things were wet. As we approached Harare, we had to stop for a toll gate. There are some places where police set up, collect a toll and inspect your vehicle for violations. Any tickets need to be paid on the spot, so always carry cash. This place was just a toll plaza. As we stopped in the line-up, a lorry pulled in behind us. The driver was almost pee-ing himself laughing at me, and mouthed the words to give up my classy ride and come ride with him in his cab. Wow, people are friendly!! I said no thank you, but then he did a little honk, come sit here, really. I explained that I was travelling with the group and wasn't sure of my destination. So he spent the next while grinning, laughing at the white guy bobbing for apples every time Kiersten had to swerve for potholes, which sometimes was quite frequent.....
3 comments:
Haha! Sounds like fun!
I think God has such a wonderful sense of humour... You have a great way with words that I can imagine you back there and am now laughing with the guy following you:)
loco muzumgo!!!!!
Post a Comment