I have been given permission to write part 2.
So we left the watering hole, and headed to the Boma. It's on the same grounds as the Victoria Falls Safari Lodge, but there is too much problems with warthogs and babboons, so they provide free shuttle service. Upon arriving at the Boma, we were greeted by a very friendly man named Cephus in authentic-looking Shona wear, including a headband with vulture feathers. Just up the sidewalk was a table filled with colorful garments, of which we were all given one to wear for the evening. Men tie up on one shoulder, women on the other.
The Boma is a large, square building which is open in the middle; random trees grow up through the thatched roof, the walls are brightly painted, and the staff do everything they can to ensure you get a unique cultural dining experience. A fire was already going at the braai(barbeque) area, and a lamb was roasting. The displays of food trays were very fancy, very colorful, very exciting.
Our meal began with real fire-roasted tomato soup, in unique little cast-iron pots with fires going under them. After a small course of salads, we headed for the Mopani worms. I'll just say it was a cultural experience. They look like burnt french fries, but taste like overcooked, dried out beef. I tried first, then Michelle- totally in awe of me just going for it- followed suit. We received our certificates of achievement, then headed for the main course. You choose from vegetable stirfry, marinaded chicken, pork sausage, boerwors sausage, ostrich kebabs, warthog, kudu, etc. It was amazing.
The nightly entertainment occurs in the open center of the building. There were groups singing and dancing to traditional Shona songs, and drumming -they handed out drums for EVERYBODY! There was also a man who went table-to-table telling stories of Shona folklore, and a face-painter went table-to-table. Michelle got an African porcupine, I got a nzou!
1 comment:
Sounds amazing! We would love to try that too! I'm sorry to say that I don't think I can compete with the mopani worm cuisine. Hope you won't be too disappointed upon your return to Canada, lol.
Post a Comment