So as you read this, we are safely back in Calgary, and plans for a shower and sleep are in my near future. Michelle is excitedly telling stories to her family, but I wanted to post something quick. Writing is my therapy- and quite possibly one of the only things keeping me sane, even now. I will continue to post blogs for a while yet, since for me this is my way of dealing with the whole gammet of activities, and there are many who would still like to hear stories.
We left yesterday in a rush. there was ten adults and 20 kids who camped out at the Canadian embassy overnight, and that ALONE is a long, long story in itself. CBC was there, and some of you saw images today.
Our flight today left PAP at 9:30 am. We were on an Air Transat A600, a BIG plane, full of orphans and helpers and evacuees. When we arrived in Ottawa, there was a media circus, pass the kids off to their families, (which was SO awesome to see) and then we had to hustle to catch an Air Canada flight to Calgary.
There was another media feeding frenzy in Calgary tonight. Mostly I was just quiet and "shell-shocked" and let Michelle and Jessica Friesen of Okotoks do the talking. The Calgary Sun and Calgary Herald want to talk to us tomorrow, after we've showered. I know I stink. I'm okay with it. I deserve the stigma tonight. I'm still wearing the same old dirty clothes, because I have nothing clean. I think I'll be going shopping tomorrow, since a lot of my clothes are donated in Haiti, the rest are in a bag at the Canadian Embassy that will be shipped out soon, hopefully. :)
13 comments:
WELCOME HOME
Our friends adopted Jacques & Jackson from GLA. It was so amazing to see them on the news tonight.... it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. God bless you for volunteering down there.
I really enjoy reading about all the things you guys have experienced, so Garner, just keep writing. I'm glad to hear that you're home safe. Are you guys still swaying? Now's the time to get your heart and mind back in a regular rythm if that's possible. Take care!
Great to hear you are safely back home. What an amazing time for you both. May God grant you what you need now as you begin to settle back into your everyday routines. Thanks so much for the updates (as has been suggested earlier, a book...maybe).
Take care and God bless!!!!
Ed & Elaine
Oh Elaine a book is a great idea, even if it's one that you put together and publish with snapfish or something like that.
It's an amazing journey Garn, one that has changed your life forever.
Welcome back to Canada! Are you guys okay?
Love, Debbie Groot
What a journey!
And I am sure that it is far from over as you now try to deal with the trauma of your experience ... how can you even put all that into perspective.... praying for the grace and peace of God to be with you as you now try to go back to your "normal" lives (what is normal in this world anyway??)
God bless you guys for all you have done for these little ones ... you were likely God's answers to many prayers for Canadian parents yesterday!!!
Thanks for letting us experience this through you both by posting daily updates.
We wish you the Lord's blessing and guidance with your return back home. May God grant you all you need as you adjust once again.
Julius and Geraldine Wierenga
Thanks for all the blogs! We're so glad that you are safely back home again. We watched the news and saw the plane but didn't get to see you. Saw some of the little children though! I think that these events are going to affect you forever. We can't even imagine what it must have been like to stay in the Canadian Embassy all night. You have definitely been used by the Lord in all these events! May He continue to bless you as you assimilate back into life in Alberta!
Reta and James
Welcome Home guys :) I hope that you get the much needed sleep that you deserve...as well as a shower :)
What an incredible journey to look back on....I'm sure you're lives have once again been changed, and your passion for Haiti greater than before.
Praying God gives you both peace, strength, and the rest you need to adjust to being back home.
Much love sent to you both! ~joyce
Yea hoo!!
We're so glad that you made it back!! Thanks for blogging and helping us see the disaster from the side of those who love the Haitians. May God grant the desires of your heart and give you His perfect peace!!
I am glad that you guys made it home safe! To say that that was a life changing experience doesn't seem to capture your experiences. Maybe more acurately, many, many lives were helped and changed by your efforts and acts of obedience to the Lord! Culture shock is one thing that you seemed to brush off with ease however coming back to life as were here may also seem like a shock. In my mind you are heros that made a difference...a difference that God has provided and lead you through! Cal B.
Post a Comment