Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Baie d'Orange


Today I shall tell you about one of the harshest places to live on the planet.
After four hurricanes swept across Haiti in thirty days last September, people everywhere were scrambling to rebuild their lives, bridges, buildings, you get the point. Nobody thought about Baie d'Orange, understandably. But Baie d'Orange (which I'll refer to as BO from now on cuz I'm a slow typer) had all their crops washed away. They were rapidly starving to death, all 500 or so. But access was impossible until the new riverbeds, formed by the hurricanes, were drying up. Also new bridges had to be installed, etc.
In mid-Nov. an organization made it in there. It's about 6 hours of the most brutal, vehicle pounding, winding, twisting, hairpin, breath-holding, 20 degree up the side of a cliff bull ride that you could imagine. But they made it. And promptly sounded alarm bells around the world. Twenty-six kids had already died. Doctors without Borders came soon after, and photos of five year old kids hanging from a sling and weighing under 20 lbs started to surface on websites, newspapers, and Miami television.
On Dec 19, GLA went there. They put together a convoy of six trucks and hauled in enough food to feed 200 people for about four/five days with one meal a day. I know what you're thinking. There's five hundred people there. Well, your right. So it got a little ugly, apparently.
It's the best place on the planet to see Doctors without Borders, Oxfam, the Association of Orphanages, Food for the Hungry, Unicef, Red Cross, and a half dozen other orgs working together as best they can.
Imagine my excitement when I found out that GLA was going again to BO ..... in March! I know! What a great thing for a guy who works in a hardware store to do. I could justify my consumption of the planet's limited oxygen supply by distributing food to possibly the hungryest people in the world. I was stoked.
I read all about it, viewed every photo I could find, I was more prepared to go than even GLA themselves. Turns out, there was an organization in Dec that brought in truck loads of yams and something else I've never heard of, all for planting only, because they are quick crops. They should be ready for harvesting by late this month.
I know what you're thinking. Doesn't anybody realize that's yams will kill you? I agree. But apparently when used with the other thing that I can't remember what it is, it's okay. :)
But GLA still hadn't set a date. Then, about six weeks ago they did....... for the same day as we fly out of here. I know what you're thinking. Brutal. And you're right. But then they changed the date, and the tiniest flicker of hope resurged again. The date they chose this time was...... our first full day in Fort Lauderdale- Saturday.

So here is a picture of thirty cases of salt that they keep dumping on my wounds, every time I walk by.... about twenty times a day. The other day there was a meeting here with a bunch of people from an organization called ACWAM which stands for Active Christians With a Mission. They are from Canada. Canada's a really small place, so no need to mention a city or a province, or anything...... Anyways, They are all seniors and they are bringing 20 goats to BO.

I know what you're thinking. I hope there's a billy goat in there somewhere. The one old guy, he wanted to go so bad, he said he'd even ride in the back with the goats, just please let him go along.

I know what you're thinking, and you're right. So I started too.... "I can ride with the goats, too. I could keep the billy off of him!" There's only one problem with this whole picture. In Haiti, goats are transported with their legs all tied up, hanging upside down from the outside of tap-taps. (I'm still trying to catch one on film)That way, fertilizer is shared by everyone!!! But I suppose( sigh) that they can do it the North American way where they get to ride in comfort in the back of a truck. Anyway the goats will be distributed, and the first born from each goat will go to a new family, and so on, and so on, and so on.
I know what you're thinking. And you're right. I hope the goats don't eat the yams, or they'll die!!! And I sure hope there's a billy in the bunch!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow what an opportunity of a life time! My heart goes to those in need, as I hear my youngsters wolfing down a "snack" to hold them 'til lunch! May God bless Baie d'Orange! And may the food He so graciously provides, bless and nourish them all, and multiply!

Brad, Zina, and five!

Anonymous said...

What a heartbreaking story...hope you can somehow work out a way to make it out there! I enjoyed reading about the driving in Haiti...sounds a lot like the driving in Honduras.

Anonymous said...

Hah...another story that I laughed out loud at. Again, glad no one is around, or they might start to wonder about me :)
Garn, yams ARE good for you....try it...I know you wanna!

Sooo...are you gonna end up getting to go to Baie d'Orange?
Sounds unbelievable, yet sadly I know its true.
Good thing God didnt forget about them, and brought it upon people's hearts to go help them.

and I agree with Steve....the driving stories are very comparable to Guatemala and Honduras...all part of the adventure!