Hi! I haven't written for a while, i was suffering from Haitian Happiness. It's not as happy as it sounds. It's a step above Death Warmed Over.
So when you are tired as sick in Haiti, you really crave peace and quiet. But there isn't any. Only babies crying, rooster crowing, horns blaring, crowds cheering the cock fights,generators running, voudu drumming, you get the point. But last night was actually fairly quiet for a while, so I took out the earplugs and just listened to.... crickets. Nothing else. Nice.
Painting has been slow. I had a side project to finish up. There had been only one working shower for alot of people, so with a bit of urgency I repaired a second one and got it operational. Yay! I feel clean!
I've been painting ceilings, 10 foot ceilings. Not fun, but it has to be done, so I do my best. But ALL buildings here are concrete, and often quite rough, so it's slow going, and will hopefully only take two coats of sealer before putting on a covercoat. I'm 3/4 done the first coat of the ceiling of the first building. But today... hee,heee,heee... all the volunteers are coming to help. Hee..hee! Work 'em hard!
So when you are tired as sick in Haiti, you really crave peace and quiet. But there isn't any. Only babies crying, rooster crowing, horns blaring, crowds cheering the cock fights,generators running, voudu drumming, you get the point. But last night was actually fairly quiet for a while, so I took out the earplugs and just listened to.... crickets. Nothing else. Nice.
Painting has been slow. I had a side project to finish up. There had been only one working shower for alot of people, so with a bit of urgency I repaired a second one and got it operational. Yay! I feel clean!
I've been painting ceilings, 10 foot ceilings. Not fun, but it has to be done, so I do my best. But ALL buildings here are concrete, and often quite rough, so it's slow going, and will hopefully only take two coats of sealer before putting on a covercoat. I'm 3/4 done the first coat of the ceiling of the first building. But today... hee,heee,heee... all the volunteers are coming to help. Hee..hee! Work 'em hard!
So the pictures are... ( did we ever mention that you can click on a picture to make it bigger?)
1. If you own a donkey, you are richer than poor, but poorer than rich.
2,3+4. Scenes from the markets. Everywhere there are markets, if theres a shoulder to the road.
5. We were in a traffic jam for a good ten minutes. I asked what it takes to get a driver license in this country, and apparently on your sixteenth birthday, a man shows up at your door and hands you a permit. Seriously!!
6.This one's great! Apparently they get their permit to stack from the same place as they get their driver's licenses. I call it the Haitian Gleaners Association. Load 'er up, drive like mad, if she falls off, well it's your lucky day!! That truck was moving along pretty good when we passed it. Next truck we passed ... and I'm not telling tall tales here.. Brad and John will back me up on this... A ci-ment truck loaded with bags of ci-ment. On the back was 8 or 10 bags that had already fallen off and broke open, six guys riding on the load that appeared to have fallen off with it all- concrete dust everywhere except their eyeballs and their teeth, and another pallet of concrete hanging off the side of the truck on a more than precarious angle, unimaginable in North America, cuz if I was driving it would have dumped 10 miles ago. Seriously!! The next corner was the traffic jam for picture 5. Seriously!! I know!!
2 comments:
Thanks Garn. Good to have you back. Will you be adding a donkey when you return? God bless you with good health from now on.
Yes, Glad you're feeling better garn!
Love all the pictures....It's hard to imagine "driving" in other places unless you've experienced it first hand! So many crazy yet incredible memories!
Post a Comment